Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The lint that dare not speak its name

There is a man who collects his naval lint. He keeps it in a jar, all lined up and colour co-ordinated. He's been doing this for many years. I know this because I saw him featured on the ABC's "Collectors" television show. It was upsetting to watch, and yet he seemed quite happy.Men are bigger carriers of naval lint, unless the woman is quite hirsute. But not all lint comes from the naval, of course. And for women, there is a lint that we dare not speak of. Our secret lint, in our most private of places. I imagine there will never be a woman on "Collectors" with her special lint jar. Once again, the patriarchy triumphs.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that episode of Collectors, and I remember feeling oppressed and disenfranchised by all that man-lint. Thanks for drawing attention to this important feminist issue.

    ReplyDelete